Bourbon County Hemp/Alexander House Historical Marker #2575
902 Main St., Paris, KY 40361
The Alexander House has long been a main stay on Main Street of Paris, Kentucky. The generally accepted completion date for the Alexander House is 1815. However, some documents point to a date as early as 1790. The first residence of the house were William W. Alexander and Jane Stamps Alexander.
William was the son of the Sr. William Alexander, an early hemp plantation owner. William Alexander Sr. was a lawyer, state representative, and early industrialist. He built a hemp factory with a 600-foot long ropewalk near his home in East Paris on what is now the Maysville & Lexington Pike around 1816-1818. It was considered one of the longest in its day. The factory made bagging, which was hauled south with six- horse teams (According to local accounts, he owned as many as 100). The wagons returned with cotton that was converted into clothing in Paris. One hundred slaves are said to have been housed near the home; not far away was housing for factory workers. The section was called Cottontown, a name sometimes still applied to East Paris.
Today, the house has been restored and is the home of Pleasanton Goods, a specialty shop offering local and artisanal goods including Kentucky Proud hemp products. A mural on the side of the building is a new addition, featuring "Hemp, our past, our future" and can be seen by anyone driving down Main Street in historic Paris, Bourbon County. Click here to learn more about the Alexander House/Pleasanton Goods.